Originally founded in 1911 as Wolfram Drahtfabrik GmbH for the production and processing of tungsten and molybdenum by the great-grandfather of today’s managing partner Marion Freifrau von Cetto in Berlin, the company was renamed to Gesellschaft für Wolfram Industrie mbH in 1928. The company’s headquarters were moved to Traunstein in 1943, where additional production buildings were constructed in the 1950s. After the death of the shareholder Helga Freifrau von Cetto, her daughter Marion Freifrau von Cetto took over management of the company as the owner in 1974. In 1991, the Gesellschaft für Wolfram Industrie mbH acquired the competitor Bayerische Metallwerke GmbH in Dachau that had been active in the market since 1926, thereby expanding its product range. Both companies produce exclusively in Germany. There are currently 57 employees at the Dachau location and 63 in Traunstein. In August 2018, the company opened another location in Winterthur, Switzerland, with Wolfram Industrie GmbH.